I think that we all can agree that this past March was a long, cold, bitter month. Where I live the first day of spring felt a lot like the first day of winter and because of that I remained in hibernation mode. I essentially went on lock down, only leaving the warmth of my bed to get up and go to work. I began to rely on YouTube videos as my source of entertainment and I found myself really gravitating towards 'monthly favourite' videos. I'd watch current ones, I'd watch ones from past months, hell, I'd even watch some from years ago. I just think that they're such a positive way to reflect on the past month and I've decided that's exactly what I'm going to do. March was a very cruel month to me, weather-wise and otherwise, but I'm going to focus on the (superficial) things that made me happy within those thirty-one days.
The list bellow is comprised of everything from a touch of makeup, to a movie, to some reading material and a couple of different coconut scented candles. I may even make this ~monthly favourites~ thing a permanent segment on my blog, but we shall see about that.
1. Narsissist Palette - This palette has to be number one on my list. I bought it on March 1st and I've been wearing it ever since. I've never really been one for higher end makeup - I usually pick mine up at the drugstore. Something about this palette caught my attention though *cough Claire Marshall's YouTube channel cough* and I'm SO glad that it did! It is a bit more expensive than the Naked palettes by Urban Decay, but it comes with more shades, variety and I love the large mirror. It has the classic matte Nars packaging which is nice at first but does look a little sloppy over time and that's the only negative I can think of. It's not incredibly pigmented, but it's extremely buildable and as someone who is a bit afraid of eye colours it's perfect. As someone who has oily skin, is rather sweaty, and let's face it - cries a lot, I can honestly say that the eyeshadows on this palette will survive any meltdown.
2. Sonia Kashuk body lotion in 'Pink Innocenia' - This lotion is amazing. The scent is a bit too floral and strong, but the consistency of the lotion and how hydrating it is totally makes up for it. I usually apply it after I take a shower at night and let my skin soak it up while I sleep. It never leaves my skin oily and although it is a thick consistency, it doesn't feel thick on your skin.
3. Palm Beach / Tiki Beach three wick candles from Bath and Body Works - I am obsessed with Bath and Body Works candles right now. I have such a collection going, it's a little embarrassing. They just smell SO GOOD. I love anything coconut scented and these two are, in my opinion, the best coconut candles they have in stock right now. Living in a basement, with a pet bunny, my bedroom can smell a little uh.. stale at times, and these definitely freshen it up. Out of the two of them, Palm Beach is hands down my favourite. I've finished mine though and I'm finding it impossible to find it in store anymore (trust me, I've searched) so I bought the Tiki Beach as a replacement. Tiki Beach smells very similar but it's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on.
4. Sonia Kashuk Couture Brush Set - I was in the market for some new makeup brushes and my heart skipped a beat when I saw these at Target. The price was right ($16.99 for the set) and the handles were to die for. When I got home I immediately ripped open the package and tried them out - they're so soft and so incredible I can't get enough of them.
5. Honey by Marc Jacobs (perfume) - I got the lotion/perfume/body wash set of this fragrance for Christmas and it just sort of sat on my shelf collecting dust. I absolutely love the scent of it but it's so sweet and summery I decided to wait until the warmer months to break it in. The weather in March was still technically winter but I couldn't hold out any longer. I'm so in love with this fragrance, it might just be by new summer staple. It definitely isn't as long lasting as I hoped it would be so I may need to invest in a travel size for refreshers.
6. The April Issue of Vogue - I love Kanye West. I love anything Kardashian. I love Kim Kardashain. I love Kimye. I love baby North. I'm not too fond of Vogue magazine (I'm more of a Harper's Bazaar girl) but I couldn't NOT buy this. It's flawless. I love the pictures, I love the articles, I love them. I'm having such a fangirl moment right now and I'm not even sorry. Get your hands on this magazine ASAP. (It gets major bonus points for having an interview with Mindy Kaling as well)
7. The Virgin Suicides (movie) - I'm not really a movie watcher. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times - I will chose a television show over a movie any day of the week. Because of that, I'm always late to the movie game. I haven't seen a lot of classics or cult favourites and I'm constantly out of the loop. I realize that this movie came out in 1999 and people have been talking about it ever since, but I never had the desire to watch it until I saw that it was on Netflix. I really shouldn't have waited so long. It'll probably go down as one of my favourite movies of all time and I really really need to get my hands on the book.
8. Sonia Kashuk limited edition Kabuki brush - I've been saying for years now that I need a Kabuki brush in my collection but the price point for them never seemed right. This brush is so soft, yet so dense, and it applies my liquid makeup flawlessly. No streaks, no awkward lines and it blends it perfectly. I've only had this brush for about two weeks and I don't know how I lived without it. AND IT WAS UNDER 15 DOLLARS!!! AND THE HANDLE IS SUPER CUTE!!!